Forbidden City Portland Dorset

Forbidden City Portland Dorset

Forbidden City Portland Dorset

The locally known “Forbidden City” was known as the East Wear Battery. It was a gun battery to the east of the Verne Citadel on the Isle of Portland in Dorset. The battery was built in the 1860s as a result of the Royal Commission to guard the new Portland harbour and Royal Navy institutions on the island. Five open batteries were built housing 20 9″ and 10″ RMLs. In 1900, they were replaced by 3 6″ guns, and again by 2 9.2″ by World War II.

It was later used as a site for Airsoft games. There are pellets everywhere and the cartridges for smoke grenades.