Gosport Borough Control Bunker ARP

Gosport Borough Control Bunker ARP

Gosport Borough Control Bunker ARP

The Civil Defence Control Centre at Alverstoke was built between December 1940 and February 1941 in response to the Air Raid Precautions (ARP) Act of 1937, which placed local authorities under an obligation to protect ‘persons and property from injury and damage in the event of hostile attack from the air’. The Control Centre was located away from Gosport town centre which had received bombing damage in the summer of 1940 and the winter of 1941. It was built adjoining a school wooden sports pavilion, which is no longer standing, in the grounds of a school playing field. It is thought that a Fire Control function consisting of three rooms was added to the southern end of the building by May 1941, but this function had been moved by August 1942, and the rooms were subsequently taken over by the ARP.

The Control Centre acted as the ARP Report Centre for the entire Gosport area, and was used to coordinate information on bombing raids and the deployment of teams foremergency rescue and repair work. At the end of the war all war-time civil defence buildings in Gosport were dismantled except for the Control Centre. It remained as a post-war civil defence building until after the Cold War. The building was used for various purposes until the mid-1970s and is now unoccupied.