Great Tew Manor House Oxfordshire

Great Tew Manor House Oxfordshire

Great Tew Manor House Oxfordshire

GT was settled in the Anglo-Saxon era. Ælfric of Abingdon held the manor of GT by 990 and became Archbishop of Canterbury in 995. Ælfric died in 1005, leaving Great Tew to Saint Alban’s Abbey. In 1049–52 the abbey leased Great Tew. William the Conqueror granted the manor to his step-brother Odo, Bishop of Bayeux, and it was recorded amongst Odo’s estates in the Domesday Book in 1086.

Since those very early beginnings the manor passed down through numerous owners falling into disrepair in the early 1900′s. This fantastic building is now owned by the Johnston Family and they are in the process of continuing the restoration and upkeep of the house and village.