Hilsea Lido Portsmouth

Hilsea Lido Portsmouth

 

Hilsea Lido Portsmouth

Plans for development of the lido were agreed in 1932 and the lido opened on 24 July 1935. The architect for the lido was Joseph Parkin. The pool originally used seawater, converting later to freshwater, and the lido design included two large fountains which have been retained but are no longer used. The Main Pool and changing facilities were designed for the use of 768 adults and 180 children with accommodation for around 1000 spectators. In 1936 the Lido was visited by the British diving team from 1936 Summer Olympics who gave a demonstration on august the 31st During World War 2 the main pool was closed to the general public and was given over to the use of the various military units in the area. Between 1946 and 1951 a miniature railway ran along the lido site.  In 1974 the Lido was used as a set for the Bernie’s Holiday Camp scene in the film Tommy.

In 2006 plans for refurbishing the lido were abandoned by the Council, however extended campaigning by residents continued and in 2009 a management trust had been established, now a registered charity. In 2010 Hilsea Lido Pool for the People acquired the lido and adjoining Blue Lagoon building on a 99 year lease Portsmouth City Council. In June 2012 Sport England gave Hilsea lido Pool for the people a £50,000 grant towards the cost of restoring the pool.