oxfordshire

Hook End Manor - South Oxfordshire

Hook End Manor – South Oxfordshire

Hook End Manor – South Oxfordshire

  Previously owned by Pink Floyd’s Dave Gilmour, Hook End Manor in South Oxfordshire went on to house a world-famous studio used by the likes of Rod Stewart, Tom Jones and The Kaiser Chiefs – before falling into ruin.

The original studio, Space Studios was built by Alvin Lee of the band Ten Years After when he first bought the house. Many recordings were made during Lee’s tenure including On the Road to Freedom and Rocket Fuel before he sold the house and studio to David Gilmour of the band Pink Floyd, who used the studio to record parts of the band’s 1983 album The Final Cut. The band’s inflatable pig, first used to promote their Animals album six years earlier, was stored in one of the outbuildings. Gilmour sold the house and studio to Trevor Horn who turned it into Sarm West. The studio is now owned by Mark White.

Several major rock bands have recorded albums at the studios. These include Manic Street Preachers’ Gold Against the Soul, The Cure’s Disintegration and Mixed Up, and Marillion’s Seasons End and Holidays in Eden.

Dave Gilmour sold the house and studios to Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley in 1986, who in turn then sold it to Trevor Horn a number of years later. In February 2017, the house, though still furnished, was reported to be abandoned. October 2017 – The house is currently getting stripped. a few cars and a skip have been spotted outside with power being restored back to the main house.

Great Tew Manor House Oxfordshire

Great Tew Manor House Oxfordshire

Great Tew Manor House Oxfordshire

GT was settled in the Anglo-Saxon era. Ælfric of Abingdon held the manor of GT by 990 and became Archbishop of Canterbury in 995. Ælfric died in 1005, leaving Great Tew to Saint Alban’s Abbey. In 1049–52 the abbey leased Great Tew. William the Conqueror granted the manor to his step-brother Odo, Bishop of Bayeux, and it was recorded amongst Odo’s estates in the Domesday Book in 1086.

Since those very early beginnings the manor passed down through numerous owners falling into disrepair in the early 1900′s. This fantastic building is now owned by the Johnston Family and they are in the process of continuing the restoration and upkeep of the house and village.

Water Eaton Grain Silo Oxfordshire

Water Eaton Grain Silo Oxfordshire

Water Eaton Grain Silo Oxfordshire

Water Eaton Grain Silo is a WW2 strategic grain silo between Kidlington and Oxford, next to the crossing of the main road from Kidlington to Oxford and the Oxford to Bletchley railway line. It follows a standard pattern common to other wartime silos and takes the form of two banks of ten seven storey high cylindrical reinforced concrete silos side by side with the space between them filled by a brick access shaft. In the shaft is the associated grain handling machinery and two enormous grain driers which extend the full height of the building. It was built in the early 1940s and closed in the late 1980s.

%d bloggers like this: