Queen Elizabeth Barracks (Boyce Barracks) MT Site - Church Crookham - Hampshire

Queen Elizabeth Barracks (Boyce Barracks)

Queen Elizabeth Barracks (Boyce Barracks) – Crookham –  Urban Exploration –  Date of construction 1938

Originally named Boyce Barracks, but re-named in 1948 following the visit of Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother.

This large barracks complex was built to act as the Depot for the Royal Army Medical Corps, who used it until 1962. From 1965 until 1970 it was used by Training Regiments of the Royal Corps of Transport. From 1970 until 2000 it was used by Gurkha Regiments.

Wooden hutted camp, with single storey barrack blocks arranged as ‘spiders’. The camp could accommodate 2500 men in peace time. This camp also included a numbers of stores and administration buildings, as well as a large parade area, gymnasium and cinema.

Site sold by the MOD and due for redevelopment as housing. The headquarters administration building has been moved and preserved at the Aldershot Military Museum. The Battalion vacated the barracks in August 2000, and the abandoned site is still present. Bryant Homes bought the site in 2002, and planning permission has been sought for a housing estate which will include a medical centre, school, and shops.