Cocking Lime Works - West Sussex

Cocking Limeworks West Sussex

 

 

 

 

Cocking Limeworks West Sussex

The quarry at has occupied the site for upwards of 200 years, but the first documented reference was in 1833 when a rockfall caused the death of a worker.

In 1906, a lease was granted to ‘Pepper and Sons’ for the production of industrial grade lime, and two wood fuelled kilns were built. In 1921, the lease exchanged hands and 5 years later 6 new coal fired kilns were built – which still remain today.
The new owners made some other significant changes to the site and the production methods including an aerial ropeway that would have been linked to the quarry.

Production of sand-lime bricks ceased in 1985, the original wood fired kilns were demolished. The site concentrated on the manufacture of ‘Calco’ which is used in gardens and nurseries. The site wound down all operations in 1999 and has been slowly reclaimed by nature ever since.