St Giles Hill Chesil Tunnel Winchester Hampshire

St Giles Hill / Chesil Tunnel Winchester – Hampshire

 St Giles Hill / Chesil Tunnel Winchester – Hampshire

 

The track also passed through a tunnel under St Giles Hill before reaching the station at Chesil Street, now the site of a multi-storey car park. Much of the disused railway land, including the Viaduct and the Tunnel, is owned by Winchester City Council.
The railway line was built in 1885 from Didcot to Winchester with a 441 yard tunnel under. St Giles Hill

The railway tunnel was part of the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway which was Great Western Railway’s attempt in the nineteenth to create a line direct to the Southampton Docks in competition to Southern Railway. GWR gave Winchester its second station where a Multi Storey Car Park now stands. The line was very important for the deployment of troops during the D-Day period in 1944.